Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Orcadian Boatman's Song

My great, great, great grandfather wrote a love poem titled "The Orcadian Boatman's Song" whilst he was a minister in the Orkney Islands (Evie). James Stormonth was a lexicographer who also wrote the "Stormonth Etymological and Pronouncing Dictionary of the English Language". I am in the process of locating this work. I plan to name my yet to be named novel by the same title. Ironically, prior to taking an interest in genealogy I listened to an album "The Boatman's Call" by Nick Cave and it resonated deeply with me - to me, it is profoundly wounded. I have since become a Bad Seeds fan and in particular a fan of Warren Ellis (look for his band - The Dirty Three and his solo album 3 pieces for Violin) -this man makes my heart ache and my soul grieve.

No comments: